Our Theoretical Condensed Matter Research Group is based at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Iowa State University, and embedded in the lively condensed matter research environment of Iowa State University and the Ames Laboratory. We investigate non-equilibrium dynamics of strongly correlated quantum materials and the effects of competing interactions and emergent order on the electronic properties of solids. To approach these questions we employ a combination of analytical and numerical techniques from field-theory and statistical mechanics. Our research is often guided by experimental results and strives to understand the impact of strong interactions on the properties of quantum materials.
2. E. I. Timmons, S. Teknowijoyo, M. Kończykowski, O. Cavani, M. A. Tanatar, Sunil Ghimire, Kyuil Cho, Yongbin Lee, Liqin Ke, Na Hyun Jo, S. L. Bud'ko, P. C. Canfield, Peter P. Orth, Mathias S. Scheurer, R. Prozorov
Electron irradiation effects on superconductivity in PdTe2: an application of a generalized Anderson theorem
1. J. -Q. Yan, D. Pajerowski, Liqin Ke, A. M. Nedić, Y. Sizyuk, Elijah Gordon, P. P. Orth, D. Vaknin, R. J. McQueeney
Competing magnetic interactions in the antiferromagnetic topological insulator MnBi2Te4
Publications (until 12/05/2019)
41. Na Hyun Jo, Lin-Lin Wang, Peter P. Orth, Sergey L. Bud'ko, Paul C. Canfield
Magnetoelastoresistance in WTe2: Exploring electronic structure and extremely large magnetoresistance under strain
Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 201910695 (2019).
40. J. M. Wilde, A. Kreyssig, D. Vaknin, N. S. Sangeetha, Bing Li, W. Tian, P. P. Orth, A. I. Goldman, D. C. Johnston, B. G. Ueland, R. J. McQueeney
Helical magnetic ordering in Sr[Co(1−x)Ni(x)]2As
Phys. Rev. B 100, 161113(R) (2019).
39. Tianbai Cui, Michael Schütt, Peter P. Orth, Rafael M. Fernandes
Post-quench gap dynamics of two-band superconductors
Phys. Rev. B 100, 144513 (2019).
38. Thomas L. Schmidt, Giacomo Dolcetto, Christopher J. Pedder, Karyn Le Hur, Peter P. Orth
Mechanical resonances of mobile impurities in a one-dimensional quantum fluid
Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 075302 (2019).